Baja California is the land of boulders, boojum trees, beautiful beaches, and historic missions.
*Scroll down to see travel details such as maps, photos, links, as well as Baja California history, books, and more >>>
We recently traveled to Mission Santa María (3-28-22 to 3-31-22)! The newest trip web page ready to view: https://vivabaja.com/msm2022/
Baja Books for sale, new and used: https://oldmissions.com
See 377 Baja Book Covers* now at the Viva Baja Library: https://vivabaja.com/baja-books/
*Including all 51 volumes of the Dawson Baja California Travels Series (1965-1992)
More Facebook group links added: Facebook Baja California History & Groups
The #1 Baja California Travel Club: https://www.discoverbaja.com/
This website was created in the year 2000. For the year 2022, it has been totally revised to better help you plan trips and discover more Baja California adventures!
Baja California is a thousand miles of fun! Beware, you may catch ‘Baja Fever’!
Revisit often as I update and add to the pages. The highlights will be the land and history of the peninsula. Join our Viva Baja discussion group to share your travels or ask for advice or make requests for this page.
Viva Baja Page Discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja
Historic Locations Discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions
You can also use email: firstname.lastname@example.org
These two short videos (~1 min each) were produced by Robert Marcos to help me share my passion for Baja California and my book, Baja California Land of Missions…
CLICK THESE TO DISCOVER WHERE TO GO, WHAT TO DO, and HOW TO GET THERE:
Baja California Books “Viva Baja Library” (377 books, so far. A work, in progress.)
Quick look Mission & Visita Photos, north to south (+ historic facts)
*If using Mexico Highway 5 from Mexicali, reduce the mileages by approx. 80, for the Bahía de los Angeles Jct. and south.
*See the Trip Photos section, below, for more ideas of places to see!
Coming in 2022:
Click here to see: What will the new guide have in it?
Listen to the SLOW BAJA PODCASTS (Great interviews with dozens of Baja-loving folks who have done some incredible things). Below are my times interviewed on Slow Baja:
- June 14, 2020: AUTHOR DAVID KIER REFLECTS ON FIFTY YEARS OF BAJA TRAVEL
- January 17, 2021: ON A MISSION WITH DAVID KIER
- June 15, 2021: MEET THE BENCHMARK MAPS BAJA TEAM
VIDEOS, TV shows, & a motion picture (with David Kier):
2019 Cameron Steele’s Trail of Missions Tour reconnaissance trip (7 to 10 min. episodes, with David):
Our epic 2010 trip to Mission Santa María on video, from HB Murphy & Zoom.
Three Tacomas, one 4Runner, one Dakota, and a 4×4 motorhome!
- Video #1 is coming down the Widowmaker in the lead Tacoma.
- Video #2 is my Tacoma followed by the rest of the gang, coming down the Widowmaker.
- Video #3 is the first Tacoma going through the bog (be sure to have the volume up).
The trip photos: https://vivabaja.com/msm2010/
Octopup’s 4×4 van and his amazing Baja California 2002-2019 Trip Reports:
(Click the Trip Map to see where Octopup went):
>>>HERE are Links to more interesting Baja California Sites (Baja Travel Web Sites; Specific Baja Locations; Baja Home Pages; Baja Book Authors; Misc. Baja Web Sites, and more)
HISTORIC PHOTOS OF BAJA CALIFORNIA
My Baja California Travel and Camping Photos (1965-2022):
- 1965-1999 Photos “David K’s Old Baja Photo Album”
- 1999 – 2004 Baja Trip Photo Albums (28 albums)
- 2005 – 2007 Baja Trip Photo Albums (28 albums)
- 2008-2010 Baja Trip Photo Albums (15 albums)
- 2011-2014 Baja Trip Photo Albums (10 albums)
- Apr. 2015: The 1942 Pole Line Road
- July 2015: Shell Island, San Ignacio, Bahía Concepción, La Magdalena
- July 2016: Shell Island and Mission San Fernando
- Sept. 2016: The Baja Extreme Tour
- Jan. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #1 (S. Felipe to Pta S. Francisquito)
- Feb. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #2 (S. Ignacio to Loreto, Comondú)
- Mar. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #3 (Mexicali to S. Felipe, Matomí)
- Apr. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #4 (Remote Pacific Coast +)
- May 2017: Shell Island family trip
- June 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #5 (El Arco, El Barril, Bahía Tortugas +)
- August 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #6 (San Ignacio to Cabo San Lucas)
- October 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #7 (Tijuana to San Quintín & San Pedro Mártir)
- Aug. 2018: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #8 (Hwy. 3, 5 & Sierra Juárez)
- Feb. 2019: America Unearthed TV Show Baja Trip
- May 2019: Trail of Missions TV Show Recon Trip (Missions Guadalupe, Mulegé, San Ignacio; Visita Londó; San Bruno Colony; Caves San Borjitas, Ratón; and more!)
- Trips planned in 2020 & 2021 cancelled because of Covid travel restrictions.
- Mar. 2022: Baja Lifestyle & Travel Expo in San Diego
- Mar. 2022: Mission Santa María, with friends
David K’s Viva Baja Party Photos:
- A Message from Choral Pepper
- October 2000 Viva Baja #1
- May 2001 Viva Baja #2
- February 2002 Viva Baja #3
- February 2003 Viva Baja #4
- November 2006 Viva Baja Cactus
Contributed Baja Photos & Stories:
- Jack Swords’ Baja History Gallery
- Baja Ken’s Sierra San Pedro Mártir Trip
- M’s El Tomatal Mystery
- M’s Photos of Graham Mackintosh
- M’s Total Eclipse Photos, 1991
- Seatwill’s Checkpoint Picture
- Desert Rat Walks to Gonzaga plus Wild Bill in the Sierra
- BajaBoy’s July,’01 Trip to Central Baja.
- Bedman’s 2001 Photos (San Quintin, Coco’s, L.A. Bay)
- Bedman’s 2002 Photos (L.A. Bay & San Borja)
- Borderline Adventure By Greg Joder
- Neal Johns 2002, explores Baja by truck and mule
- Neal Johns 2003: Yubay and other central Baja sites
- Jide’s Sierra Juarez Canyon Photos
- Carlos Fiesta’s CIRCUM NAVIGATION of the Baja Peninsula – Book edition.
Please allow me to help you find fun, and adventure, in Baja California, as I have for TV shows and documentary films!
EMAIL Questions or Comments to DAVID: email@example.com
You have reached The (Land’s) End, come back again soon!
NEW: To discuss this website’s contents that are not about history, a new Facebook group in addition to the Baja Missions group, has been created: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja