Baja California is the land of boulders, boojum trees, beautiful beaches, and historic missions.
On this page, find travel details such as maps, photos, links, as well as Baja California history, books, and more >>>
Click here to see what’s new at VivaBaja.com
Click here to buy New & Used BAJA BOOKS (at OldMissions.com)!
Baja California History is amazing! This is where California began and was the only place called California, prior to 1769 when the name was modified.
“My book covers the years 1533 to 1855 with the discovery of California and Spain’s attempts to colonize the peninsula, eventually using missions. Each mission is detailed and photographed. The padres are all named, with the mission they served and the years of service. I also talk about the ‘lost missions’ and explain what and where they were.” David Kier
This website was created in the year 2000. Twenty-two years later, it has been revised to better help you plan trips and discover more Baja California adventures! More content being added. Look for more modernizing changes in the near future. Until then, just scroll down to see and read about the fascinating peninsula that is full of history and adventure. Several links lead to much more and hundreds, no thousands of photos give you a look at some of Baja’s endless attractions…
Baja California is a thousand miles of fun! Beware, you may catch ‘Baja Fever’!
Let’s talk about Baja California: Join our Facebook discussion groups to share your travels, ask for advice, or make requests for this page.
1) Viva Baja Page Discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja
2) Historic Locations Discussion (mission sites, old mines, cave art, travel before 1973): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions
3) To email David: firstname.lastname@example.org
First time driving to Baja California, Mexico? Advice for border crossing and driving
The Baja California Travel Club: https://www.discoverbaja.com/
Click to DISCOVER WHERE TO GO, WHAT TO DO, and HOW TO GET THERE:
Discover LOCATIONS (Travel Articles, Maps, Books, Road Logs)
Discover HISTORY (Missions, El Camino Real, Painted Caves, etc.)
Discover DRIVING (Border Crossing, Road Maps, Kilometer Marker, GPS)
View HISTORIC IMAGES OF BAJA CALIFORNIA , hundreds of photos and drawings from 1868 to 2004 including photos from Howard Gulick, Harry Crosby, Erle Stanley Gardner, Desert Magazine, and more!
For more ideas on where to go, see my Travel & Camping Photo Albums, below. !
Coming in 2023:
Click to see: What will the new guide have in it?
Click to HEAR & SEE ‘BAJA PEOPLE’ on Slow Baja podcasts
Click for Viva Baja MEDIA (TV shows, YouTube & a motion picture by or with David Kier)
Zoom in close to see BAJA CALIFORNIA MAPS (1685-2021) 200+ maps!
A biography about David and how he connected with Baja California
CLICK HERE to quickly find photos of specific Baja locations (1999-2022)!
My Baja California Travel and Camping Photos (1965-2022):
- 1965-1999 Photos “David K’s Old Baja Photo Album”
- 1999 – 2004 Baja Trip Photo Albums (28 albums)
- 2005 – 2007 Baja Trip Photo Albums (28 albums)
- 2008-2010 Baja Trip Photo Albums (15 albums)
- 2011-2014 Baja Trip Photo Albums (10 albums)
- Apr. 2015: The 1942 Pole Line Road
- July 2015: Shell Island, San Ignacio, Bahía Concepción, La Magdalena
- July 2016: Shell Island and Mission San Fernando
- Sept. 2016: The Baja Extreme Tour
- Jan. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #1 (S. Felipe to Pta S. Francisquito)
- Feb. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #2 (S. Ignacio to Loreto, Comondú)
- Mar. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #3 (Mexicali to S. Felipe, Matomí)
- Apr. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #4 (Remote Pacific Coast +)
- May 2017: Shell Island family trip
- June 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #5 (El Arco, El Barril, Bahía Tortugas +)
- August 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #6 (San Ignacio to Cabo San Lucas)
- October 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #7 (Tijuana to San Quintín & San Pedro Mártir)
- Aug. 2018: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #8 (Hwy. 3, 5 & Sierra Juárez)
- Feb. 2019: America Unearthed TV Show Baja Trip
- May 2019: Trail of Missions TV Show Recon Trip (Missions Guadalupe, Mulegé, San Ignacio; Visita Londó; San Bruno Colony; Caves San Borjitas, Ratón; and more!)
- Trips planned in 2020 & 2021 were cancelled because of Covid travel restrictions.
- Mar. 2022: Baja Lifestyle & Travel Expo in San Diego
- Mar. 2022: Mission Santa María, with friends
David K’s Viva Baja Party Photos:
- A Message from Choral Pepper
- October 2000 Viva Baja #1
- May 2001 Viva Baja #2
- February 2002 Viva Baja #3
- February 2003 Viva Baja #4
- November 2006 Viva Baja Cactus
LINKS to MORE VivaBaja and other Baja California Sites (Baja Travel Sites; Baja Locations; Tide Charts; Home Pages; Book Authors; Contributed Photos)
Please allow me to help you find fun and adventure in Baja California as I have for TV shows and documentary films! Email: email@example.com
EMAIL Questions or Comments to DAVID: firstname.lastname@example.org
You have reached The End, come back again soon!
Join our active Facebook group to see and share Baja California travel and news chat: