Baja California is the land of boulders, boojum trees, beautiful beaches, and historic missions.
On this page, find travel details such as maps, photos, links, as well as Baja California history, books, and more >>>
CHRISTMAS SHOPPING has got to include BAJA BOOKS! https://oldmissions.com/
Newest website additions:
San Pedro Mártir to Valle Chico canyons: https://vivabaja.com/canyons/
NEW Baja Photos Interactive Map, over 1,600 location photos!
More vintage Baja maps added at vivabaja/maps
See 381 Baja Book Covers* now at the Viva Baja Library: https://vivabaja.com/baja-books/
The #1 Baja California Travel Club: https://www.discoverbaja.com/
This website was created in the year 2000. For the year 2022, it has been totally revised to better help you plan trips and discover more Baja California adventures!
Baja California is a thousand miles of fun! Beware, you may catch ‘Baja Fever’!
Revisit often as I update and add to the pages. The highlights will be the land and history of the peninsula. Join our Viva Baja Facebook discussion group to share your travels, ask for advice, or make requests for this page. Let’s talk about Baja California at:
*Viva Baja Page Discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja
*Historic Locations Discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions
*You can also email David: firstname.lastname@example.org
CLICK THESE TO DISCOVER WHERE TO GO, WHAT TO DO, and HOW TO GET THERE:
Baja California Books “Viva Baja Library” (381 books, so far. A work, in progress.)
Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip Reports (2016-2018)
Quick look Mission & Visita Photos, north to south (+ historic facts)
*See the Trip Photos section, below, for more ideas of places to see!
Coming in March 2023:
Click here to see: What will the new guide have in it?
Listen to the SLOW BAJA PODCASTS (Great interviews with dozens of Baja-loving folks who have done some incredible things).
Below are episodes David was on Slow Baja:
- June 14, 2020: AUTHOR DAVID KIER REFLECTS ON FIFTY YEARS OF BAJA TRAVEL
- January 17, 2021: ON A MISSION WITH DAVID KIER
- June 15, 2021: MEET THE BENCHMARK MAPS BAJA TEAM
VIDEOS, TV shows, & a motion picture (with David Kier):
- 2021 The Last Mission (rent or buy) Five heroic off-roaders struggle over a 300-year old trail, in Baja California, to reach the last Jesuit mission ever built: Mission Santa Maria de Los Angeles. Historical introduction by author David Kier. Written & directed by Robert Marcos. Produced by Patrick Malone. Copyright 2021 Malone Productions.
2019 Cameron Steele’s Trail of Missions Tour reconnaissance trip (7 to 10 min. episodes, with David):
Our epic 2010 trip to Mission Santa María on video, from HB Murphy & Zoom.
Three Tacomas, one 4Runner, one Dakota, and a 4×4 motorhome!
- Video #1 is coming down the Widowmaker in the lead Tacoma.
- Video #2 is my Tacoma followed by the rest of the gang, coming down the Widowmaker.
- Video #3 is the first Tacoma going through the bog (be sure to have the volume up).
The trip photos: https://vivabaja.com/msm2010/
These two short videos (~1 min each) were produced by Robert Marcos to help me share my passion for Baja California and my book, Baja California Land of Missions…
Octopup’s 4×4 van and his amazing Baja California 2002-2019 Trip Reports:
(Click the Trip Map to see where Octopup went):
>>>HERE are Links to more interesting Baja California Sites (Baja Travel Web Sites; Specific Baja Locations; Tide Charts; Baja Home Pages; Baja Book Authors; Misc. Baja Web Sites, and more)
HISTORIC PHOTOS OF BAJA CALIFORNIA
My Baja California Travel and Camping Photos (1965-2022):
- 1965-1999 Photos “David K’s Old Baja Photo Album”
- 1999 – 2004 Baja Trip Photo Albums (28 albums)
- 2005 – 2007 Baja Trip Photo Albums (28 albums)
- 2008-2010 Baja Trip Photo Albums (15 albums)
- 2011-2014 Baja Trip Photo Albums (10 albums)
- Apr. 2015: The 1942 Pole Line Road
- July 2015: Shell Island, San Ignacio, Bahía Concepción, La Magdalena
- July 2016: Shell Island and Mission San Fernando
- Sept. 2016: The Baja Extreme Tour
- Jan. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #1 (S. Felipe to Pta S. Francisquito)
- Feb. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #2 (S. Ignacio to Loreto, Comondú)
- Mar. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #3 (Mexicali to S. Felipe, Matomí)
- Apr. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #4 (Remote Pacific Coast +)
- May 2017: Shell Island family trip
- June 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #5 (El Arco, El Barril, Bahía Tortugas +)
- August 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #6 (San Ignacio to Cabo San Lucas)
- October 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #7 (Tijuana to San Quintín & San Pedro Mártir)
- Aug. 2018: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #8 (Hwy. 3, 5 & Sierra Juárez)
- Feb. 2019: America Unearthed TV Show Baja Trip
- May 2019: Trail of Missions TV Show Recon Trip (Missions Guadalupe, Mulegé, San Ignacio; Visita Londó; San Bruno Colony; Caves San Borjitas, Ratón; and more!)
- Trips planned in 2020 & 2021 were cancelled because of Covid travel restrictions.
- Mar. 2022: Baja Lifestyle & Travel Expo in San Diego
- Mar. 2022: Mission Santa María, with friends
David K’s Viva Baja Party Photos:
- A Message from Choral Pepper
- October 2000 Viva Baja #1
- May 2001 Viva Baja #2
- February 2002 Viva Baja #3
- February 2003 Viva Baja #4
- November 2006 Viva Baja Cactus
Contributed Baja Photos & Stories:
- Jack Swords’ Baja History Gallery
- Baja Ken’s Sierra San Pedro Mártir Trip
- M’s El Tomatal Mystery
- M’s Photos of Graham Mackintosh
- M’s Total Eclipse Photos, 1991
- Seatwill’s Checkpoint Picture
- Desert Rat Walks to Gonzaga plus Wild Bill in the Sierra
- BajaBoy’s July,’01 Trip to Central Baja.
- Bedman’s 2001 Photos (San Quintin, Coco’s, L.A. Bay)
- Bedman’s 2002 Photos (L.A. Bay & San Borja)
- Borderline Adventure By Greg Joder
- Neal Johns 2002, explores Baja by truck and mule
- Neal Johns 2003: Yubay and other central Baja sites
- Jide’s Sierra Juarez Canyon Photos
- Carlos Fiesta’s CIRCUM NAVIGATION of the Baja Peninsula – Book edition.
Please allow me to help you find fun and adventure in Baja California as I have for TV shows and documentary films! Email: email@example.com
EMAIL Questions or Comments to DAVID: firstname.lastname@example.org
You have reached The End, come back again soon!
Join our active Facebook group to see and share Baja California travel and news chat: