Baja California is the land of boulders, boojum trees, beautiful beaches, and historic missions.
The #1 Baja California Travel Club: https://www.discoverbaja.com/
This website was created in February 2000. Nearly 22 years later, it has been totally revised to better help you plan trips and discover more Baja California adventures!
Baja California is a thousand miles of fun!
Revisit often as I update and add to the pages. The highlights will be the land and history of the peninsula.
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Viva Baja Page Discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja
Historic Locations Discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions
These two short videos (~1 min each) were produced by Robert Marcos to help me share my passion for Baja California and my book, Baja California Land of Missions…
CLICK THESE TO DISCOVER WHERE TO GO, WHAT TO DO, and HOW TO GET THERE:
2016-2018 Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip Reports (with photos and maps, posted on Tacoma World forums)
*If using Mexico Highway 5, reduce the mileages by approx. 80, for Bahía de los Angeles Jct. & south.
*See the Trip Photos section, below, for more ideas of places to see!
Coming in 2022:
Click here to see: What will the new guide have in it?
- Listen to the SLOW BAJA PODCASTS (Great interviews with dozens of Baja-loving folks who have done some incredible things)
Viva Baja VIDEOS, TV, & FILM, with David Kier:
- 1973 Video: The 1973 Baja 1000, filmed east of Ojos Negros (3+ min)
- 2001 Video: Amigos de Baja Caravan to the Sulfur Mine & Matomí Canyon waterfall.(18-min)
- 2014 Cameron Steele’s Trail of Missions, on CBS Sports (my mission chats are at min. 5:40-6:35 & 9:37-10:24)
- 2016 The Baja Extreme, a David Kier 4×4 Tour (7-min)
- 2019 America Unearthed (with Scott Wolter), goes to Baja (4 min.)
- 2020 The Devil’s Road, an award-winning film. 1-minute clip
- The Devil’s Road, a full-length feature film (98 min.)
- 2021 The Last Mission, an Amazon Prime TV show (21 min.)
2019 Cameron Steele’s Trail of Missions Tour reconnaissance trip (7 to 10 min. episodes):
- 2019 Trail of Missions Recon with David Kier (Episode 1: Missions Guadalupe & Mulegé)
- 2019 Trail of Missions Recon with David Kier (Episode 2: San Borjitas, Londó, San Bruno)
- 2019 Trail of Missions Recon with David Kier (Episode 3: Visita de San Pablo)
- 2019 Trail of Missions Recon with David Kier (Episode 4: San Francisco de la Sierra)
- 2019 Trail of Missions Recon with David Kier (Episode 5: Bahía Concepcion, Volcán Tres Virgenes)
Our epic 2010 trip to Mission Santa María on video, from HB Murphy & Zoom.
Three Tacomas, one 4Runner, one Dakota, and a 4×4 motorhome!
Video one is coming down the Widowmaker in the lead Tacoma.
Video two is my Tacoma followed by the rest of the gang, coming down the Widowmaker.
Video three is the first Tacoma going through the bog (be sure to have the volume up, as Zoom in the lead Tacoma is quite funny).
The trip photos: https://vivabaja.com/msm2010/
Octopup’s 4×4 van and his amazing Baja California 2002-2019 Trip Reports:
(Click the Trip Map to see where Octopup went):
Links to more Baja Web Sites (Baja Travel Web Sites; Specific Baja Locations; Baja Home Pages; Baja Book Authors; Misc. Baja Web Sites, and more)
HISTORIC PHOTOS FROM BAJA CALIFORNIA BOOK AUTHORS
- All the Peveril Meigs’ Northern Baja Photos from 1925 to 1936
- *Marquis McDonald’s Color Mission Photos of 1949-1950*
- All the Marquis McDonald Baja California Photos
- Howard Gulick’s (selective) Baja photo album
- All the Howard Gulick Photos Collection of 1950-1975
- Harry Crosby’s El Camino Real Details and Photos
- All the Harry Crosby Photos Collection of 1967-1992
- Erle Stanley Gardner’s 1960s Baja Expedition Photos
- Choral Pepper and the Erle Stanley Gardner Expeditions (from Choral’s camera)
- *Correction Guide to the enlarged Marquis McDonald Color Photos.
David’s Baja California Trip Photos (additional trip albums, from 2017 to 2019 will be added soon):
- 1999 – 2004 Baja Trip Photo Albums (28 albums)
- 2005 – 2007 Baja Trip Photo Albums (28 albums)
- 2008-2010 Baja Trip Photo Albums (15 albums)
- April 2011: Lost Mission Expedition, Arroyo el Volcán
- May 2011: Shell Island, with Kristi, Josh & Jonna
- July 2011: Shell Island, Gonzaga Bay, El Rosario, with Kristi
- Jan. 2012: Shell Island, Fossil Beds, Arroyo Grande
- July 2012: 15 Fabulous Days in Baja, to the tip and back!
- Sept. 2012: Tecate; meeting the governor of Baja California
- Oct. 2012: Valle de Guadalupe, Museum & Mission Guadalupe
- May 2013: Another Great Shell Island Weekend
- June 2014: Trail of Mission #1
- Sept. 2014: Labor Day Weekend: Baja Beach Get-A-Way!
- Apr. 2015: The 1942 Pole Line Road
- July 2015: Shell Island, San Ignacio, Bahía Concepción, La Magdalena
- July 2016: Shell Island and Mission San Fernando
- Sept. 2016: The Baja Extreme Tour
- Jan. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #1
- Feb. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #2
- Mar. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #3
- Apr. 2017: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #4 (coming soon)
- May 2017: Shell Island family trip
- Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trips #5-7 (coming soon)
- Aug. 2018: Baja Bound Road Guide Research Trip #8 (coming soon)
- Feb. 2019: America Unearthed TV Show Baja Trip (coming soon)
- May 2019: Trail of Missions #6 Recon Trip (coming soon)
David K’s Viva Baja Party Photos:
- A Message from Choral Pepper
- October 2000 Viva Baja #1
- May 2001 Viva Baja #2
- February 2002 Viva Baja #3
- February 2003 Viva Baja #4
- November 2006 Viva Baja Cactus
Contributed Baja Photos & Stories:
- Jack Swords’ Baja History Gallery
- Baja Ken’s Sierra San Pedro Mártir Trip
- M’s El Tomatal Mystery
- M’s Photos of Graham Mackintosh
- M’s Total Eclipse Photos, 1991
- Seatwill’s Checkpoint Picture
- Desert Rat Walks to Gonzaga plus Wild Bill in the Sierra
- BajaBoy’s July,’01 Trip to Central Baja.
- Bedman’s 2001 Photos (San Quintin, Coco’s, L.A. Bay)
- Bedman’s 2002 Photos (L.A. Bay & San Borja)
- Borderline Adventure By Greg Joder
- Neal Johns 2002, explores Baja by truck and mule
- Neal Johns 2003: Yubay and other central Baja sites
- Jide’s Sierra Juarez Canyon Photos
- Carlos Fiesta’s CIRCUM NAVIGATION of the Baja Peninsula – Book edition.
The first edition of VivaBaja.com was hosted by: Electraweb thanks to Dick Van Bree, and thanks to Doug Means for web page assistance. The new VivaBaja.com started on 12/18/21 uses a new platform, allowing me to update, edit, add to, and more!
EMAIL Questions or Comments to DAVID: email@example.com
You have reached The (Land’s) End, come back again soon!
NEW: To discuss this website’s contents that are not about history, a new Facebook group in addition to the Baja Missions group, has been created: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja