The first location for the next mission north of San Borja proved unfit because
the water was so mineralized it prevented agriculture.
After 7 months, the mission was moved. GPS: 29°25'16.3" 114°11'42.4"
Calamajue ruins in 1949. Photo by Marquis McDonald
Santa Maria de los Angeles 1767-1769
When crops wouldn't grow at Calamajue, the Indians showed
the Jesuits their oasis of Cabujakaamung 20 miles north, with its sweet water.
The Jesuits moved their mission and had only constructed palm log shacks when
they were removed from California, in early 1768.
The Franciscans who
replaced the Jesuits built the adobe ruins that we see here. Santa Maria had a
very brief mission history. In 1769, the first Franciscan mission in California
was founded by Junipero Serra some 35 miles away. Named San Fernando by Father
Serra on his long walk from Loreto to Alta California. San Fernando was a
superior mission site and soon Santa Maria was reduced in status to a visita.
Photos taken in 2007 by David Kier. More photos at
http://vivabaja.com/msm GPS: 29°43'54.5"
The padre's quarters and storeroom ruins at Santa Maria.
1949 Marquis McDonald photograph of Santa Maria mission.