Only some stone foundation of the church built about 1750
and walls remain at this mountain mission. Photo by Kevin Clough GPS:
Guadalupe ruins in 1953 photo by Howard Gulick
Originally established close to the gulf coast, Dolores was
soon moved to this spot about 3 miles west. *In 1741, a third move was made to
the Dolores visita of La Pasion in the region called Chilla (see below).
Los Dolores is often called 'Dolores del Sur' because the Jesuits planned for a future mission of 'Dolores del Norte' (see Santa Gertrudis).
Photo taken from the ridgetop west of the mission.
This mission and San Pedro Martir are the only two not accessed by an automobile road. GPS: 25°03'19.0" 110°53'03.3"
Close up photo of Los Dolores Apate by Kevin Clough in
The final move for the mission of Los Dolores was over 15
miles to the southwest, in the region called Chilla by the Indians. This mission
location was usually called 'La Pasion', the name of the visita that was here.
Some books list a seperate mission of 'La Pasion' instead of this being the
final location for Los Dolores. GPS: 24°53'14.4" 111°01'49.8"
1949/1950 Marquis McDonald mission expedition photograph
of Los Dolores Chilla (La Pasion) ruins.