The second Dominican California mission was named Santo Domingo and located at the mouth of a long valley, a few miles from the ocean. A red-colored cliff was next to the new mission and the first services were held on August 30, 1775, in a cave in the cliff. In 1798, the mission was relocated 2.5 miles inland from the red cliff.
>> To see where this mission is, maps and directions at bottom of page <<
2003 (Jack Sword photo)
1954 (Howard Gulick photo)
1926 (Peveril Meigs photo)
1886 (photo provided by Robert Jackson)
- GPS: 30.770889, -115.937222
- Directions: Highway 1( just north of Vicente Guerrero) at Km. 169+, go east 4.6 miles.
- Mission Rosario de Arriba in photos: https://vivabaja.com/rosario-de-arriba/
- Mission Rosario de Abajo in photos: https://vivabaja.com/rosario-de-abajo
- Mission San Fernando in photos: https://vivabaja.com/san-fernando/
- Mission Santa María in photos: https://vivabaja.com/santa-maria/
- Mission San Borja in photos: https://vivabaja.com/san-borja/
- Mission Santa Gertrudis in photos: https://vivabaja.com/santa-gertrudis/
- All the missions, quick look and history, north to south: https://vivabaja.com/mission-site-photos/
- VivaBaja.com MISSIONS SECTION: https://vivabaja.com/missions1