On Nov. 29, 1958 (at the Franciscan-Dominican warehouse ruins on Gonzaga Bay):

Howard Gulick and friends examine. See the archelogy report by Eric Ritter: https://vivabaja.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/GONZAGA-2-EXCAVATIONS.pdf

50 Years Ago (in 1973)…


The original plaque at San Ignacito (Km. 191.5) commemorating the meeting of the road building crew working north with the crew working south. Paving came just two months later and was officially opened by the president at the newly built Eagle Monument, near Guerrero Negro.

The plaque was stolen some years ago and the San Ignacito restaurant owner painted a new one, but missed the dedication year by one!


December 1, 1973, President Luis Echeverría officially opens Mexico’s completed Highway #1.