Our 4th of July weekend, 2004 vacation was great. Not because of any great desert discoveries, but because it was shared with good friends, and my two children, and we had perfect weather. We did visit Las Animas for the first time and will return there. We were in Baja for five days.
My son Chris and Bo’s daughter Andee enjoying a shade tree at Camp Gecko.
4baja (Steve) relaxes on his quad. Most days that week Steve enjoyed great fishing.
Andee and Sarah in the clear water at La Gringa. Smith Island is in the background.
Chris was enjoying a dip at La Gringa.
Just another beautiful sunset at Camp Gecko www.campgecko.com
Bahia las Animas at low tide, looking toward the south point of the bay.
My Tacoma and Debra’s 4Runner at Las Animas. Debra’s son and grand daughter, along with Chris, Sarah, and Andee had a great beach day here.
I hiked across the lagoon and on to this point and took this photo, looking back to the beach, where we parked.
Sarah and a very friendly pelican. It had recently swallowed one of the hundreds of giant squid that were beached here.
Chris and the pelican.
The road between L.A. Bay and San Francisquito was in great shape, permitting near highway speeds. This photo is taken northbound, heading back to Camp Gecko.
Yvonne, Debra, and David A enjoying the sea view as I say goodbye and head home.
The reason we didn’t see Frank O and Katie at Camp Gecko this July! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Mairead Ema and Liam Quinn were born on June 25, 2004.
GPS and Mileage Notes (map datum WGS84)
- 0.0 Camp Gecko Driveway (4.1 mi. so. of pavement/ town): 28°53.97′, -113°31.89′
- 5.7 The old Las Flores jail is 0.3 mi. to right.
- 8.1 Poor road ahead (28°46.99′, -113°32.04′) to reach the railroad terminal platform (3 mi.). Main road bends left. Platform at 28°44.74′, -113°32.58′
- 18.5 Old road south via La Bocana valley 28°40.73′, -113°25.45′ (rejoins main road after 33 rough miles.)
- 22.3 Las Animas road, turn left 28°40.53′, -113°21.76′ (stay left at both forks, going in)
- 33.6 Bahia las Animas 28°48.58′, -113°21.38′
- My Baja Web Page: VivaBaja.com
- Baja Message Boards
- Last year’s July 4th Baja photos
- Las Flores Railroad Line & Platform in ’02