Mision Santa Catalina 1797-1840

The mission was located on this hill, above the cemetery.

GPS: 31°39.63', 115°49.22' (NAD27) elev. 3,900'

On the mission site is this corner stake. Very little remains to show this was once home to 600 natives and their Spanish keepers.

Just a tiny mound of adobe marks the fort's look-out tower location at the northwest corner of the compound.

View south from the mission site.

The Pai Pai Indian village of Santa Catarina is just over the rise to the right, the cemetery is just below to the left. A running stream is visible a short distance beyond. The Santa Catalina mission site is about a half mile northwest of the village.

Santa Catarina is about 5 miles from the town of Independencia. Turn northeast off Hwy. 3 at 31°36.71', 115°53.35' (GPS map datum NAD27 Mexico).

Nearing Ensenada along Hwy. 3 are some examples of creative rock art!

Some Links


previous page H O M E